Background

Happy New Year

Well, this is the time for New Year's Resolutions but this year I have decided that my New Years Resolution will be to not make a resolution. Wait, I think that i just contradicted myself. Anyway, every year I have these lofty goals for myself; lose 50 pounds, exercise daily, spend more time reading to my children, spend an hour with God every day, have a better attitude when faced with trials, keep up with the house cleaning better, save more money, keep in touch with my friends better, spend more time volunteering, etc. These are great ideas but I always seem to set myself up to fail. I make all of these resolutions and then just expect myself to automatically be able to accomplish all of them every day. Obviously, this hasn't happened yet. I have been thinking about why I keep failing when I am setting goals which are positive and healthy. Here is my conclusion: I have left God out of the picture. The goals I am setting are positive and healthy but I forgot the important part of setting goals for myself, what does God want from me this year? I am sure God would love for me to spend more time in the Word, spend more time with friends and family, lose some weight and cultivate a healthy lifestyle, be a good steward of my home and finances. But are these the priorities he is setting for me? So this year instead of setting a bunch of resolutions that I will not be able to reach, I am going to instead spend more time in the Word and praying. if I am truly trying to get closer to God then His will for me will become clear. And if I am truly striving to do His will, His way then how can I fail?

No comments: